Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Tragedy in Boston

Well, I sure am glad I didn't schedule that post with the last day of our Mexico trip to go up yesterday. But I'm sure no one really wants to see us frolicking on the beach today either, so I thought I'd hurry and get a new post up with an excellent resource put together this morning by April and Saren. (I just barely put it up on the Deseret News blog as well.)

Interestingly, Will has to watch the news 5 nights in a row and write a brief summary about what he learned for one of his scouting merit badges (citizenship of the nation), and even more interestingly, I just barely cut our cable. In any case, I had him watching various live news feeds on the computer last night, and while we did talk about the tragedy in Boston in brief, after reading this excellent post by April and Saren, I think I'd like to have a more formal discussion about it tonight with the whole family.

I just happened to print off a bunch of General Conference memes last week (there are TONS of these floating around in cyber space--apparently it's the latest post-conference craze in the LDS world, and I personally appreciate these talented and creative people who put these together) and put them up in a banner-like form over the fireplace, and there is one in particular that I think will be perfect for our discussion tonight:


So as you think and talk about what happened at the Boston Marathon yesterday (either alone or with your family), remember that there really are more good people in this world than bad, and that this one act of terrorism doesn't hold a candle to the many acts of heroism, bravery, and love that were shown yesterday. Each of us can be that kind of light in our own worlds of darkness--whatever that looks like--but today I'm grateful for the first responders and concerned bystanders who were that light for those innocent people hurt in yesterday's tragedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails