Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Summer: 65 Days

As I write this, Kate is grooming the alpaca wool she carefully shampooed and conditioned earlier. She asked if she could use my husband's hairbrush to do it. Uh . . . no. She is changing every day. Growing up. She told me emphatically a couple of days ago that there were two phrases I was never to use in her presence again. "Tidy Up" and "Beddy Bye". I can see how that is annoying at her age so I will oblige (unless I am trying to goad her for fun) but it still cracked me up that she even said that.

My sweet Will is still young enough that he doesn't mind his mom. He is so affectionate with me. He hugs me all the time and recently told me it was my fault he likes me so much. He said he couldn't help but like me and it was my fault. Isn't that the cutest? He came home from Johnson's Camp today with a duck egg which he promptly wrapped in bandanas and put in his sock basket for incubating. Whoa. He also had fun experimenting with fire in the backyard today with his cousin Ty until I caught on to what they were doing. Double whoa.

Elizabeth is always trying so hard to keep up with the older two and get their attention and approval. It's a little tougher in the summer when they are all together more often. I often ask the kids at dinner what the highlight and lowlight of the day were and her highlight was going down the pool slide at Johnson's Camp 11 times. I'm told she went down with her eyes closed, arms up doing peace signs.

Rachael bosses me around all day long. I'm exhausted by the time Brandon walks in the door each night. Lately she wants to live on fruit snacks, gum and toothpaste. I don't know how this could have happened but I'm hiding all three from now on. I feel like the majority of my day is spent with her tugging at my leg and "yelling" at me to get something for her or go with her somewhere. It's one of the hardest things for me as the mother of young children. Even when I feel I am giving everything, it's never enough. And at some point I've got to do the laundry, make dinner, take a shower, etc! She wants me every second of the day, bless her little demanding heart.

Today's Super Summer Tally:

Johnson's Camp (Duck eggs and alpaca wool)
Playdate with cousins and a friend
Fun with fire :D
Excavation of pre-historic European fossils (A kit)
The movie "How To Eat Fried Worms"
More swimming
Watermelon and Rice Krispy Treats

Not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails