Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Summer: 42 Days

I woke up depressed. Mostly because I was super duper tired from 2 nights in a row of very little sleep. The baby must be teething or SOMETHING! This was not good timing as I was at the end of my 5 day single mom marathon. (Hats off to the true single moms out there . . .) I was also depressed because even though Brandon came home the night before, we didn't get two minutes to talk to each other before I spontaneously feel asleep. Now he was back at work bright and early. His alarm woke me up but I couldn't pull myself out of bed until he was gone and now it was too late to go to the Y or make a quick trip to the grocery store alone.

Despite this, once the kids started rousing I went into auto pilot and started pulling myself together. Thank goodness for little people that need me. It would be way too easy some days to just lay in bed and do nothing which never makes anyone feel good.

My oldest daughter asked about the Wii and that's when I knew it was time to get ourselves to the library. We spent an hour there getting some really good books for all of the kids, but Kate's Newberry Award winners look especially good. I'd like to read them myself. We then dropped her off at her sewing class and Will invited the new neighbor boy over for a couple of hours. Back to pick up Kate, picked up our cousins, dropped Kate off at her friend's house for swimming and dropped Will and the cousins off at baseball and basketball camps. Back home again to meet Elizabeth's playdate for the afternoon while I did laundry, housecleaning and made zucchini brownies for another neighbor who left a HUGE zucchini on our porch. We ended up eating zucchini brownies for dinner and then picked up Kate and her friend to go to Baskin Robbins for $1 scoop day. Brandon met us there. (Yep, you read that right: brownies for dinner, ice cream for dessert. These are not ordinary brownies, though. I make them with whole wheat flour and they are chock full of zucchini. Come on!)

Back home to throw some baseballs and frisbees around the backyard for awhile and now the kids are watching a movie with Kate's friend who is here for a "late over". (This is an alternative to "sleep overs" which I am not a fan of for various reasons . . .)

While the kids were watching the movie, Brandon and I finally caught up while I made some chicken scampi, baked potatoes and ceasar salad for him and whoever else wanted some - just in case you were worried about it.

It's almost 10:00 and everyone but the baby is still awake. And I don't even mind. I love summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails