Monday, January 25, 2010

I've Seen Fire and I've Seen Rain


I love James Taylor. I wonder if he was living in California when he wrote that song.

The rain has stopped (for now) and much to the dismay of the media there were no massive mudslides bringing wide spread destruction. We don't have cable so I'm not totally sure how it was portrayed, but I know that more than one person from out of state contacted me to be sure I was okay and I'm guessing it had something to do with the news coverage. The way the mountain sits behind our house, the mud will flow into a big ravine a block away. We actually hiked down there on Sunday and it was fascinating to see the changes made from both the fire and the recent rains.

This first picture was taken outside the grocery store a day before the rains started. Clouds like this were common in Iowa, but it's always a little surprising to see them here.
These next two pictures were taken in front of my children's school and from our church parking lot. This is also a little surprising to see around here - especially with a palm tree. Snow this low only lasted one day.
This snow will last a little longer. I heard on the news today that the ski resort town of Big Bear (about 3 hours north) is running out of food and gas from all people coming up there to ski!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails