Friday, December 17, 2010

Christmas Lights

Two Thursdays ago we went up to Temple Square in Salt Lake City to see the Christmas light display. Now, I may have done this in college on a date or something, but if I did, I was in la-la land and not paying any attention. This is THE must-see Christmas light display within a three hundred mile radius of Salt Lake City! If you live anywhere nearby, you simply must go! From the amount of people there on a Thursday night, I get the feeling everybody does go, but this was essentially a first time experience for me, and it was so stinkin' beautiful that I wish everybody could see it. I've always known Temple Square did a big whoop-dee-doo at Christmas time, but I didn't really get it until I saw it for myself. 

If you have a minute, read this article about what goes into this amazing feast for the eyes and soul. Just another lovely "real meaning of Christmas" tradition we've picked up here in Utah. Many LDS temples have beautiful light displays and nativities at Christmas time (L.A. was pretty gorgeous, as well as Arizona), but I think there's no question that this one takes the cake.  

I'm really, really, really hoping Santa brings me a new camera that I don't know how to use yet, so I can finally figure out how to capture on film what I see in my head, but for now, here's your mediocre, amateur photographic tour:

Leaving Blue Lemon (across the street from Temple Square):

Ahhhhh . . . gorgeousness!
This is the Assembly Hall where high school choirs from all over the west were rotating through performing Christmas music. Somehow we managed to miss both of the performances that happened during the time we were there!  It was still pretty (and warm) to go inside for a few minutes:





Back outside and around the building: 



It was insane how completely some of the trees were covered in lights:

Another pit stop in the Tabernacle to see the the famous icon of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir:


Back outside it was raining, but it still didn't put a damper on the evening:

 Minus the watermark, this is my favorite picture:


On the east side of the temple is a large reflecting pool where we found this peaceful scene:

 

To the north:


Just outside the Visitor's Center is a large expanse of grass that had several life size figures "telling" the Christmas story while narration and music played.



Inside the Visitor's Center:


I pestered a nice senior missionary from North Carolina to take these next two for us:

Bonus pic--the Capitol building in the distance:
It just doesn't get much better than this for getting into the Christmas spirit. I'm glad we went when we did, because things have heated up around here this last week--and I don't mean the temperature. The Christmas crazies have taken over the last several days as I've been trying to tie up all the inevitable loose ends (last minute shopping), attending a million concerts, recitals, and parties, and getting our Christmas cards ready to send off with our new address. Just looking at these pictures helps me to slow down and feel that wonderful spirit again.  Only one more week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails